my problem with school and why I’m quitting (but not really) PART 2

So after all of that frank (and somewhat scathing) diatribe of NP positions and my current program, what have I decided to do about it?

I’ve been thinking hard all day. I am going to apply to both programs I discussed in PART 1, but that then begs the question: what do I do with the program I’m currently in? Do I stay in it until a for sure acceptance into the programs I really want? I can’t help but think this is a giant waste of money and time, since only 6 maximum credits would transfer (I’ve completed 9 total). Why waste energy, and more importantly, time away from my daughter if the credits don’t even transfer?

I hate being a quitter, but knowing deep down that this program isn’t for me, and isn’t bringing out the best of my abilities or talents, means that I need to leave it and pursue something better. I will probably not be able to start my new programs of choice until next fall, assuming I am accepted at all. But I am actually very optimistic, I believe I will get accepted to at least one of them, and in the meantime I won’t be wasting time away from my daughter. I know that the right career path is out there, and I feel like this last year has really revealed to me what I don’t want in a program and where my true interest lies.

Still, it sucks to officially “withdraw” from a graduate program, especially because I was so proud of being accepted. I have a 4.0 in all of my classes (because they were stupidly, moronically easy and worried me that they weren’t preparing me at all) and I really did love being at my undergrad alma mater. Staying is definitely not right for me, but leaving doesn’t feel good either.

In the end, though, if I’m going to do this, I’m going to do it all the way. Staying in this program would be easiest, but it would not take me where I want to be and it would not adequately prepare me or open doors for me in my desired field. If I lose a year, well, these are two year programs. It’ll be ok. I gain a lot of time with my daughter while she’s little, and am still on track to finish around the time she enters kindergarten. Nothing lost, but possibly everything gained.

Author: Mother of All Things

Mother by fostering, adoption, and marriage... wife to my best friend... Bay area critical care nurse... travel in my blood, reading in my bones, clean food on my mind!

2 thoughts on “my problem with school and why I’m quitting (but not really) PART 2”

  1. i think you ABSOLUTELY made the right choice. If you stayed in the original program until you start at the new one, there wouldn’t have been any benefit. You would have been paying a lot of money without learning and without being able to use the credits. What you will lose in the short run of extending the program by a year, when you will learn so much more and have a more valuable degree?

  2. I was wondering when I saw your first post about all this if there was more to it. My brain couldn’t quite come up with good questions to ask you at the time. I don’t think you should stay in the program you are right now if the credits won’t transfer and the classes aren’t actually teaching you anything. Don’t waste your time and money on it. These other programs sound much better so I hope you can get in! Then you will have more time this summer with M and it will be great.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: